Voices for Indi congratulates Cathy McGowan on the announcement she will seek re-election as the Member for Indi.
V4I endorsed Cathy McGowan as an independent candidate for the 2013 election. V4I continues to support Cathy as the Federal Member for Indi as she remains committed to honest, respectful and constructive politics based on inclusion, valuing all voices and true representation of her constituents as sought by the community that elected her.
- Why did V4I form?
- What is V4I's ongoing relationship with Cathy McGowan?
- What is V4I’s relationship with political parties?
- Will V4I be backing Cathy in the next election?
- What is V4I's role in the next election campaign?
- Will V4I be involved in the next election?
- What is V4I known for?
Voices for Indi is a community movement, initiated in 2012, to build a voice in our democracy for the people of Indi. It was during the 2013 process of Kitchen Table Conversations, culminating in the V4I report, that revealed interest in an independent candidate who would be aligned with the values people sought in their representative and the issues of importance expressed by the people.
V4I was the catalyst for Cathy McGowan’s campaign, however the campaign was conducted by a group of over seven hundred people, far bigger and broader than V4I.
Voices for Indi is a community group, not a political party. V4I is focused on building community participation in politics and democracy regardless of age, geography or political party allegiance. Consistent with V4I values, we welcome Cathy McGowan's style of engagement with people across the electorate and her encouragement of their direct input in current issues and opportunities. We also welcome the transparency of Cathy McGowan's voting record in Parliament and her regular addresses to the Parliament on issues and achievements in Indi.
Voices for Indi continually engages with and invites representation of all political parties to attend its events, is focused on increasing citizen engagement and the discussion of important regional issues. V4I actively encourages young people of any or no political persuasion to engage with the democratic process, to enrol and to vote.
V4I seeks to encourage individual people to find their voice, express it, be heard by all politicians and to experience how their involvement can influence development of policy positions and the Member of Parliament's voting patterns.
Voices for Indi is confident in Cathy McGowan continuing to represent Indi as she is adhering to the people's expectations of their Member of Parliament, as documented in the 2013 Voices for Indi report. The people of Indi stated they want a local political representative who truly represents the electorate, is strongly connected to the community, is accessible, visible, responsive and pro-active and is their voice in the political process. Respect for the people of the electorate and being worthy of their respect, as well as listening, honesty, integrity and politeness are seen as critical. The electorate wants someone who has a strong set of values, a moral compass and is prepared to 'walk the talk'.
Voices for Indi is a community democracy movement, not a campaign team. As in the 2013 election campaign, some individual members of the V4I team are also active leaders in the Cathy McGowan election campaign while others are less involved. Similarly, some have previous memberships of political parties and others do not.
Voices for Indi exists to build an active 21st century democracy in Indi and will be involved in every election for the long term.
- V4I will continue to focus on encouraging young people to enrol to vote. There are still many young people nationwide disconnected and disillusioned about politics and V4I seeks to build a democracy in which they want to engage.
- V4I will continue to develop a lens to focus the impact of government policy on rural and regional communities. Again, in this second budget of the current Federal government, there is little evidence that the implications for rural and regional people have been taken into account. V4I believes that if the people in Indi and other rural and regional areas don’t hold this focus, no one is going to do it for us.
- V4I will continue to be the voice of the people, critically important in this political era when business, vested interests and lobbyists have increasing influence on the major political parties. V4I is about the people not parties and about we the people, having the greatest influence.
Only two years ago Indi was ignored by both major political parties, it was an electoral backwater. A long-held Liberal seat with seemingly no real choice for voters. Today Indi is known across the country as an example of a modern democracy at work and there is constant interest and reference to Indi in state and national media. The people of Indi are now heard in a positive and constructive way and many other electorates are seeking to achieve the same result.